Friday, September 18, 2009

September Updates


I have been so negligent in updating my blog. I have become a slacker! Well, two kid comments of recent:
1) Madison to me: "Hey, you are fat. You are very fat. You are like a big piggy." OUCH! Only out of the mouth of a babe. Coincidentally, I have been feeling fat lately. I think I am 10 lbs heavier than the spring. I am definitely out of shape, my clothes are tighter. I gotta get back on the treadmill! And then a few days after that comment she said again but in another way, "Mommy, you are having a baby. You have a big tummy."
Now I can receive the fat comment once but a second time in the same week???? Come on, does this child show no grace? I guess it would be unreasonable for me to expect diplomacy from a 3-year old. Well, at least, I know where I stand. I am overweight. Or to put it nicely...I am just right but with a few extra pounds. Now there is diplomacy.

2) Jaclyn yesterday: "Mommy, can I go to school tomorrow." "There is no school tomorrow." "But I can't wait to go to school. I want to go NOW!"
The update on Jaclyn and kindergarten: After two weeks of reviewing the pros & cons of Frost (public) and Overlake, we decided to send her to Overlake. It was so hard because both options were good for different reasons, and Jaclyn would have excelled at either. But after this past week at Overlake, I am soooooooooo happy we switched Jaclyn. The projects she brings home are so much more interesting and challenging. She seems happier, not that she wasn't happy at Frost, but there is an excitement in her eyes which I didn't see when she was going to Frost (except for waiting for the school bus). Teacher Tami, her teacher from Pre-K last year, is absolutely amazing. Before school even started, she gave us a monthly calendar, a weekly schedule, a daily schedule, and a 9-week progress report check-list. I got zero from the public school. I had no clue what Jaclyn was learning there. A couple of times she was bringing home colouring sheets which I thought was a joke.
Once I stopped thinking about the cost of Overlake, and that it is an "investment", it was so much easier to make the decision.
And just hearing Jaclyn make that above comment about wanting to go to school NOW, affirms that I made the right choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment