Friday, December 3, 2010

Yen Yen


When I showed Madison this picture of my grandma taken in 1963, Madison said, "Oh, she's pretty, very, VERY pretty."
Yup...she was. I have even heard people say that she was very regal. When I was born, I think she already had a stroke and had aged quite a bit...so I didn't get to see her in her elegant ways. She was often in bed resting.

I remember a couple of times when we would take her somewhere for acupuncture and there was even a time when she had a treatment at the King Ed House. Those needles freaked me out. I cried because I thought the "doctor" was hurting her. And now, funny, I am married to an acupuncturist.

Yen Yen didn't speak much English but she and I were always able to communicate with signing and facial expressions. It didn't matter that we didn't speak the same language. She loved me so much. I loved her, too. I think I was about 7 when she passed away but my memory of her is so vivid.

No comments:

Post a Comment