Tuesday, April 28, 2009

6 Tips for Helping Children Learn


I learnt these 6 tips today from a MOPS guest speaker. It's not like she is reinventing the wheel but the tips were good reminders to me so I thought I would share them in this blog (plus because I am so disorganized, I know I will misplace my handwritten notes):

1. READ READ READ to your children.
2. LIMIT THEIR SCREENING TIME as it lessens their attention span. (Of course, when we got home today, my kids plugged themselves in front of the TV, so I have yet to apply that tip.)
3. EXPERIENCE LIFE TOGETHER. Teaching your kids is not about "Sit down now and do your homework". (Here is a picture of them experiencing life after drinking a smoothie they helped make!)
4. LIBRARY
5. SET THE EXAMPLE of reading. (I am not much of an example there. I need to get in the habit of reading again. I haven't picked up a book in ages.)
6. SPRINGBOARD OFF AREAS OF THEIR INTEREST. (In my home, it's all about Princess.)

No one will ever care as much as you do about your children, their future and their education. No one's qualification will be as great as your own devotion for your kids. Never let your children's schooling interfere with their education (paraphrasing Mark Twain).

No comments:

Post a Comment