Last Friday, April 17th, a friend of mine, Gabe Ma, passed away from a heart attack after playing ice hockey. He was only 42 with two young kids, ages 5 & 3, with a beautiful wife. He may have had a pre-existing heart condition, I am not sure.
While I have not kept in good touch with Gabe over the past few years, we did chum around in our single days with other buddies from Granville Chap. So I do have a lot of fond memories - ALL FUN - with him. There was rollerblading, skating, dinner parties, Xmas gift exchanges (rock*paper*scissors), movies, and of course our competitve games nights (NERTZ).
All week, I have been wrestling with God as to why Gabe had to go especially since he has two young boys. I know that God is in the details, that God has a purpose for everything, that He loves us, and we need to trust Him. I know that we see things from a limited perspective, and that Gabe's death is not the whole picture. I get that. Or do I? Maybe I don't.
It just really bothers me. I can't wrap my brain around it. I am upset.
I can see and hear Gabe's laugh. He had a good full-hearted laugh. He was a funny guy. He had a competitive spirit but always loved to cheer people on.
Goodbye Gabe. I will see you one day in Heaven. I will beat you in Nertz when I get there.
P.S. Gabe, the Canucks are doing really well. They slaughtered St. Louis 4-0 in the series. I hope you can see the NHL playoffs in Heaven and you are enjoying the Canuck's victory!
"The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate".
Welcome to My World
Welcome to My World, to my blog. A place where I share my random thoughts about everything and nothing, where I share how my days went, my good moments and maybe my not-so-good, and the joys of my life (my family). Enjoy!
About Me
- DD
- I was born & raised in Vancouver, BC but now live in suburban Kirkland, WA. I love adventure although I seem to be more cautious since having kids. Scuba diving, sky diving, two safaris in Africa, backpacking Europe, soul-searching in Israel, and the list goes on, have all been in my distant past. Now, my life is about family and raising my kids to love God, love people and serve the world. I have got one talented husband, one angel child, one spirited child, and a large, supportive extended family. Life is good.
No comments:
Post a Comment