The past couple of days in Vancouver, I have been a bit emotional over my dad. My dad's health has not been the greatest since his bout with cancer then chemo 2 1/2 years ago. While he came out of the chemo quite well and is in remission, his memory and cognitive functioning has been affected. Doctors say it's unrelated, that it's two separate health issues. But I think the chemo accelerated whatever was going on with him. A couple of months ago, a specialist said that my dad suffered a minor stroke and didn't know it, and that would explain his mental challenges.
Anyways, all this being said, my dad is not the same. And I miss my old dad. My dad that participated in life, always had a good joke ready at hand, and gave generously to all he came in contact with. Nowadays, he's extremely quiet, and lacks motivation or interest in anything (but napping). It's hard to see a parent age. But it's a fact of life.
I sobbed to my dad, gave him a big hug. He comforted me and told me that he was okay. I told him that I thought he was the nicest man in the world (which he truly is) and the best dad anyone could ever ask for. His response, "Well, I try my best but I am just an ordinary man." My dad ordinary??? NOT!!! He is anything but ordinary. In fact, he is an extraordinary, rare person. There is no one with a kinder heart than him. He has no hidden agenda and when he gives to people, he doesn't expect anything in return. He just gives for the sake of giving.
My kids are great with my dad. He may not get as much attention from them as other members of my family but sometimes they choose him over the others. As the girls and I were driving out of my parent's driveway and waving goodbye to my dad, Jaclyn said, "Gung Gung sure is a nice man!" I choked up because I wondered how she would know that my dad is a nice guy. Since he's been ill, he doesn't talk much to them nor does he lavish them with gifts (as he used to). Will they ever see the man that I saw growing up? Maybe not. I am thankful, though, that somehow my girls sense his goodness and gentleness, and yes, that he is a nice man.
My dad is not an ordinary man. He represents all there is good in the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment