I learnt something new. I never really knew the meaning of St. Patrick's Day except that it was a Irish holiday. Saint Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland. He lived more than 1500 years ago, and was born in Great Britain. When he was sixteen, outlaws kidnapped him and sold him as a slave in Ireland. There he tended sheep for his master. While a slave, Patrick's faith grew stronger. One day, he escaped. Then he became a Christian missionary, traveled through much of Ireland and spread his faith wherever he went.
Many Irish people believed in several gods then. But Patrick taught about the one God.
A legend tells about the shamrock, the three-leaf clover. Saint Patrick used it to explain the Trinity -- the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. All three, he said, are God. Yet there is only one God. The shamrock is the national plant of Ireland and is still an important symbol.
Saint Patrick's Day is today, March 17th. That's believed to be the date of Patrick's death.
HAPPY SAINT PATRICK'S DAY, EVERYONE!
"The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate".
Welcome to My World
Welcome to My World, to my blog. A place where I share my random thoughts about everything and nothing, where I share how my days went, my good moments and maybe my not-so-good, and the joys of my life (my family). Enjoy!
About Me
- DD
- I was born & raised in Vancouver, BC but now live in suburban Kirkland, WA. I love adventure although I seem to be more cautious since having kids. Scuba diving, sky diving, two safaris in Africa, backpacking Europe, soul-searching in Israel, and the list goes on, have all been in my distant past. Now, my life is about family and raising my kids to love God, love people and serve the world. I have got one talented husband, one angel child, one spirited child, and a large, supportive extended family. Life is good.
No comments:
Post a Comment